Tuesday, November 07, 2006

my promotion

First of all, there's a long article in the New Yorker, which is worth taking a look at if you've got a little time and are interested in cycling as transportation, cycling as lifestyle, cycling as political position. There's a lot I take issue with, but it's a serious consideration of the plight and passion of urban cycling. My favorite line, and one that I've echoed (presaged? paralleled?) frequently in my efforts to explain to others my love of the two-wheeled human-powered conveyance, comes from the founder of "Transportation Alternatives": the bicycle is “mankind’s greatest invention.” I have a bunch of least favorite lines, but the indiscretion of zealotry makes for those kinds of things. I mean, I think sustainable transportation and acceptance of the bicycle are essential for our future (or our offsprings' future), but it's of a lesser magnitude than some of the interviewees make it out to be.

----

In other news, I officially gave notice at my job this week. Yesss.


What am I going to be doing next? Hmmmm....

---

As I write, I'm listening to Mark Kennedy concede. Yesss.

6 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Blogger Elise said...

Congrats on getting promoted to SAHD. It beats the hell out of your former job, where your multiple talents were just being wasted. Enjoy the new gig!

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Olaf Vanderhoot said...

dat's cool.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger shannon said...

squab: good to see you, and thanks! I'm looking forward to utter and devoted appreciation of my multiple talents from an adoring audience of one. btw--we got a picture or two of the little 'un wearing the "I Voted" sticker, too--gee, I thought we were being original...

oV: yes it is. now if only she'll come with me for lunchervals...

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Shannon,

Fantastic!...You will be a great stay at home dad! Just a little FYI from someone who doesn't know much about the whole dad thing...in the photo it appears that you are about to take a bite out of Mairin...I am pretty sure this is strictly verboten.

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger velogirl said...

congrats, dad! you both look so happy.

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Gilby said...

Congrats on the new position!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home